Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Deconstruction of an A--hole


In an age where team allegiance is as important as vegetables in a Midwestern diet, we seem to be coming to the end of one of the last marriages that worked - for a while. Yes, at one time Manny and Boston were compatible. But what people seem to forget is, Manny's been pulling shit like this for years. Boston's just fed up, now. Nothing's different, none of his antics are new news.

This whole charade, "Manny being Manny" can be dissected one way - it's Manny being a spoiled dick. He's like a hot-shot banker who takes on a homely wife and continually cheats on her, but she allows it because he's out of her league and he stays with her because she makes a mean steak and waits on him hand-and-foot. But that's it. Once one side decides that they've has enough - it's over. That's what happened last night. Manny banged a stripper on the couch. And Boston ran away crying. And they're going to call his bluff, and hopefully send him down to Florida so he can disappear (or he can legitimize the middle of that lineup with Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla and win the NL East - scary, huh?).

Now, some people call me brash for thinking Manny's more aggravation than fun guy at the party who fears no consequence. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of having someone on my team that cares more about cartoons than he does baseball. And this is part of the problem with Manny, since he graduated from high school (and maybe before) he's had people to take care of everything in his life for him, because they just told him, "go out there and hit." When you don't care, you can go up to bat and hit a homerun, because deep down, it doesn't affect you mentally whatsoever.

So, can we really blame Manny for being the way he is? To some extent, yes. He's an adult, and I'm over this shit where people say he's so far-gone as a person that he's on another level. Please. I knew a guy who used to eat out of a garbage can, and he wasn't homeless, but he didn't go around acting like an ego-centric idiot all the time, and he knew when to turn on big-boy mode. In my opinion, anyone who can pick up the spin on a curveball can understand when they're acting like a fucking two-year-old who didn't get his way.

For Manny, and announcers giggling and saying, "that's just Manny being Manny" while they give each other reach-arounds, I hope it's good riddance from the AL East. And I'm sure The Yankees aren't the only team that will be sad to see you go. But if I'm Boston, I'm asking for custody of the kids. And the house, that shit is worth some money!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

I have just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.