Thursday, December 11, 2008

...I'm Just Sayin'...

Well, what do you know, the day I throw up this post I had been planning to write for months just so happens to coincide with the day the Mets trade for their 2nd closer of the offseason! Funny how life is sometimes...

What do most of the teams that have recently won the World Series have in common? They have multiple "closer" type pitchers, or at the very least, one dominate, shut-down closer. When it's the case of the former, they are usually an established guy and a young up-and-comer that becomes a star soon after, but sometimes they are both established relievers.

For reference:
  • The Yanks started this trend in '96 with Wetteland and Mariano, with Mo later becoming one of the top closers in the game.
  • 2001, the D-Backs had Byung-Hyun Kim and Matt Mantei
  • 2002, the Angels had Troy Percival and that K-Rod guy
  • 2003, the Marlins had Braden Looper and Ugueth Urbina (pre machete-wielding burning people alive incident)
  • 2004, the Red Sox had Keith Foulke (who was just flat nasty) and Scott Williamson (he was the closer in Cincy before coming to the Sox)
  • 2005, the White Sox had Dustin Hermanson and Bobby Jenks
  • 2006, the Cardinals should not have won the World Series. I'm sorry, it's just true.
  • 2007, the Red Sox had Jonathan Papelbon (who was unstoppable) and Hideki Okajima (who was great in the postseason, aside from the Series. Honestly though, Papelbon could have pitched all 9 innings of every game by himself, he was that good - 10.2 IP, 5 H 0 ER)
  • 2008, the Phillies had Brad Lidge who was equally as dominant, but their entire bullpen performed well

Look, I'm just sayin'...Great bullpens = postseason success. I am not making any predictions based on SOMETHING that might have just happened at the winter meetings, but you can't blame me for being excited. Go Omar, Go!!



4 comments:

xGooks said...

Did you really just explain your excitement about K-Rod and JJ by reliving the success of DUSTIN HERMANSON, SCOTT WILLIAMSON and MATT MANTEI??????

I am very, very, very excited about our new closers. Don't get me wrong.

But, dude. Seriously. Dustin Hermanson? Are you sure this isn't an article about the best worst facial hair in baseball?

Douglas said...

haha, funny how a signing and trade puts a team who suffered back-to-back historical collapses into the playoffs...love Mets fans.

Oh, and the Cards DID win in 2006 with a young, inexperienced closer (what you lookin at Beltran)...I'm just sayin

Doc Holliday said...

Cards had Looper and Wainwright.

And Neil Cotts set-up Jenks in 2005. Hermanson got hurt. Why do I know this? Because I used that situation for reference when I argue "Joba as a starter".

AK-47 said...

True, Hermanson was hurt on '05. He actually got hurt at the tail end of the regular season when Jenks stepped in and started to make his name.

This, however, only strengthens my argument. When you're fortunate enough to be in this situation, in the event that your main closing option goes down with injury your B option can step in and not only pick up the slack but in some cases have even more success.

And Douglas.....way to use that example to try and attack my point. By me writing what I wrote, it's not that I clearly acknowledged that they didn't apply or were an exception or anything like that. No, really, thanks for pointing that out. No one knew that.

XG - so you can sleep at night...Hermanson's #s: 34 Saves, 2.04 ERA, 1.10 whip